Sunday, July 26, 2015

Gifts from the City by the Sea

     I love to write after a walk on the beach and share my thoughts and findings and lessons I learn from each and every one of these walks.  I also love the musical serendipity of the city of Asbury Park and what some experiences have taught me.  I try to take pictures or videos so I can share what I have learned.  Did you ever read the book Gift from the Sea from Anne Morrow Lindbergh?  It is one of my favorites.  There is an exhibit of hers along with her husband, the famous Charles Lindbergh in Philadelphia, I am yearning to see.
     The lesson I learned on my walk on Friday is from this picture.  First, the badge is from Bay Head and they were giving them away for free.  Last year I made some mixed media works with beach badges, shells, driftwood and sea glass.  I wanted to get some more and was happy to get five of these free.  Especially, because you only get a paper tag or wristband now for a daily.  I rarely get to the beach so I buy as I go now.
     Pictured on the bottom on a black rock are some kind of fish teeth.  I think they are Shark's teeth. They are not too old, because fossilized teeth would be black.  But, they have been tumbling around the ocean for a while because they are both very smooth.  I have NEVER found a tooth like this before.  So, when I picked it up I was pretty excited.  My first thought was that it is never too late for a first for anything.  When, I picked up the second one, I was amazed.  How can you find something you have never found before?  And, just like that find another?
      The lesson I learned here was to never assume anything as you age.  Never think never.  Always have the faith and hope to know just because something has not happened yet, it never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment